It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Spicy Shrimp and Grits



I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks.  I have to admit, I had never made it before.  But after reviewing the ingredients, I decided that it was an easy recipe that sounded like it would be delicious.  Happily, I have to admit that this is one of the best dishes I have made in a long time.  If you are looking for something easy with minimal ingredients and delicious taste, you need to try this!



Ingredients:

1 c. coarse grits (not instant)
2 T. butter
4½ c. low-sodium chicken stock
4 slices bacon, cut into half inch pieces
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. white wine
1 T. fresh thyme
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 lb. large peeled and deveined shrimp (uncooked)
1 T. hot sauce


 
 
Bring chicken stock to a boil.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.  Slowly whisk in grits; reduce heat to medium low and whisk occasionally until grits are creamy and tender.  Depending on the grits you use, it may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes (follow instructions on package).  Stir in butter; cover and set aside.


Add bacon pieces to a medium-sized skillet, over medium high heat.  Cook until crisp and browned (approximately 4-6 minutes).  Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel.

 

Add thinly sliced onion to bacon grease and saute until lightly browned.  Lightly salt and pepper.  Add minced garlic and continue to saute for an additional 2 minutes.

 


To the onion and garlic mixture, add to tomatoes (including juice) along with wine and sprigs of thyme.  Bring to a boil and add shrimp.  Cook 2-4 minutes until shrimp are pink and opaque.  Stir in hot sauce (I used Sriracha).

Serve grits on a place.  Spoon shrimp and tomato mixture over the grits and top with crisp bacon pieces.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment