It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Monday, February 3, 2014

Svenska Cinnamon Bun Cake


I found this recipe last week on Facebook.  Oddly enough, I was preparing a smorgasbord for my church, and I needed to make a dessert.  I adapted the ingredients so that it would be more of a Swedish dessert.  I think cardamom would work nicely in this recipe, however, did not have it.  Feel free to add ¼ teaspoon to the recipe when you make it.

Cake:

Ingredients:
3 c. all purpose flour
¼ t. salt
1 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1½ c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 t. vanilla
½ c. butter, melted


 

Place a mixing bowl in the mixer.  In the mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.  Slowly combine with the mixer.


In a 2 cup measuring cup, add milk, eggs and vanilla.  Stir to combine.


In a mixer, slowly add the milk/egg/vanilla mixture with the mixer running.  Mix until incorporated.  With the mixer continuing to run, slowly add the butter.


Grease a 9x13 baking dish with a non-stick coating and add the batter.



Topping:

Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 T. all purpose flour
1 T. cinnamon




In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.  Drop evenly with a spoon over the batter.  Swirl with a knife.


Preheat oven to 350º.  Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.  (I had to bake an additional ten minutes - ovens may vary).

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.


Glaze:

Ingredients:
2 c. powdered sugar
6-7 t. milk
1 t. almond extract
1 t. butter, softened





Combine ingredients and drizzle over warm cake.

 

To garnish, drain nine maraschino cherries and cut in half.  Chop ¼ c. pecans.  Place cherries onto warm glaze, as shown in the photo.  Sprinkle with pecans.

This recipe makes 18 servings and would be appropriate as a dessert or for a breakfast/brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment