It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baby Scallops and Linguine in Basil Alfredo Sauce



As you can see, I took a couple of weeks off to get ready for Christmas.  We had a wonderful time sharing food and conversation with family.  I hope you had a good holiday too!  I look forward to bringing you more recipes in the new year.  Have a blessed 2012 and thank you so much for following The Swedish Chef!













Ingredients:
16oz. package frozen baby sea scallops (can substitute with fresh)
6 T. butter
6 T. flour
16 oz. half and half (cream)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
pinch of nutmeg
chopped fresh basil
3/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
peel of one lemon
juice of half lemon
salt and white pepper

For sautéeing scallops, use:
2 T. butter
1/3 c. olive oil
1lb. linguine
4 qts. water
2 T. olive oil
salt
 

Thaw one pound of baby scallops, rinse in cold water, and drain on a paper towel.



 

Melt 6 T. butter in a saucepan.  Add flour and stir to combine.  Cook for 3-4 minutes to remove the flour taste.  Begin to add cream until you have reached a velvety sauce.  This may take the entire 16oz. of cream.  Additional milk can be used to thin the sauce.  Add a pinch of nutmeg.  Remove the skins of 2 cloves of garlic and smash, but do not mince.  Add to sauce and allow to steep for at least 15 minutes.  Add parmesan cheese and juice of half a lemon.  Keep warm.



In a frying pan, add 2 T. butter and 1/3 c. olive oil.  Heat to medium high, then add scallops and sear.  Stir until scallops are lightly browned on all sides.  Remove from pan, drain excess grease, and return to pan.



Bring 4 qts. water to a boil, add salt to season pasta and 2 T. olive oil.  Place pasta into boiling water and cook until al dente.  Drain, but do not rinse in cold water.  Reserve 1 c. of pasta liquid for thinning sauce, if you desire a thinner sauce.  Remove garlic cloves from the alfredo sauce.



 

Add alfredo sauce to scallops.  Stir and add lemon peel, basil, and pasta.  Stir to combine.  If you feel the sauce is too thick, add the reserved cup of pasta water to thin down.

Serve with a salad or bread, and additional parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment