It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken and Dutch Dumplings



Here is a recipe that combines the comfort of homemade chicken noodle soup and the flavor of a Pennsylvania Dutch dumpling.  This dumpling is a dense, heavier texture than a normal dumpling.  I hope you will try this recipe.



Stock:
In a large pot, add the following:
1 whole chicken (with skin and bones)
8 cups of cold water (or enough to cover the chicken)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon each or dried (or fresh) thyme and marjoram
3 carrots cut into thirds
3 stalks of celery cut into thirds
1 large onion, skin removed and cut in half - stud each half with 5 cloves each
4-5 fresh cloves garlic
salt and pepper, to taste


Bring to a boil, turn down heat, cover with lid and simmer for approximately 2 hours. 


Remove chicken to a plate and allow to cool.  Remove and dispose of vegetables and herbs.  Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer.  Place into a clean pot.  Allow to set for an hour and lightly skim off any grease from the top.

Add the following:
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
½ onion, minced
2 stalks of celery, minced
¼ c. fresh parsley


Remove chicken from the bone and tear into bite-sized pieces; add to stock.



Dutch Dumplings:
1 egg, well-beaten
1 cup flour
1½ T. melted butter
½ cup water
dash of nutmeg
½ t. salt


Combine ingredients; with a teaspoon or small scoop, spoon mixture into boiling liquid.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Do not remove cover while cooking dumplings.



If a thicker broth is desired, you may thicken the broth with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch:½ c. water.

No comments:

Post a Comment