It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hot German Potato Salad



Looking for a simple but hearty, warm side dish?  Try my Hot German Potato Salad.  It's easy to make with basic ingredients - and delicious!

Ingredients:

4-6 medium potatoes (red, russet, or Yukon Gold)
8 strips bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
*½ celery, diced (or 1 T. celery seed)
2oz. jar sliced pimento, drained
¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
1 T. stone-ground mustard
3 T. flour
3 T. sugar
¼-½ tsp. salt
black pepper, to taste
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. vinegar
3 T. bacon drippings


Wash potatoes with brush and place into 4 qt. water; bring to a boil and cook until tender (20-30 minutes).  Remove from heat and drain water.  Allow potatoes to cool enough to handle and remove skins.


In a large skillet, add diced bacon and cook until crisp.  Remove to paper towel to drain, and reserve 3 T. bacon grease.


In drippings, sauté onions and celery* until tender.  Stir in salt, pepper, sugar, mustard and blend.  Add flour and stir until flour is absorbed into the bacon grease.  Add water and vinegar; bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.


Pour sauce over sliced, cooked potatoes.  Add bacon and pimento and gently toss to coat.


Place in a greased casserole dish.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Cover with foil and heat in a 350º oven for 20-35 minutes.  Serve warm.  Makes 6 servings.

*in this recipe, I omitted the celery because someone in my family has an aversion to the taste and texture of celery.

1 comment: