It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tortellini Pasta Salad



This is my adaptation on pasta salad.  The fresh tortellini adds flavor, texture, and interest to the dish.  You can use a variety of tortellini.  If fresh pasta is not available, you can substitute with dry.


Ingredients:

2 - 20 oz. packages fresh tortellini
half of a 2.62 oz. jar or McCormick Salad Supreme
8 oz. block cheddar or mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
5 oz. package Hormel Pepperoni Miniatures (or cut standard pepperoni into quarters)
16 oz. bottle Italian dressing (may add more, to taste)
10 oz. grape tomatoes
3-4 T. fresh basil, chopped

Optional ingredients:

Onion
Celery
Bell Peppers
Green or Black Olives



In a large pot, add 4 qts. cold water, a generous pinch of salt, and 2-3 T. oil.  Bring to a boil and add tortellini.  Stir gently.  Check after 5 minutes, as fresh pasta cooks quickly.


Drain in a large bowl.  While still hot, add half of the Italian dressing to keep pasta separated.  Hot pasta will also absorb the dressing better.  Allow to cool to room temperature.


Cut tomatoes in half and add to pasta.


Cut cheese into small cubes (you can also use shredded cheese, if you prefer); Add to cooled pasta.


Add pepperoni, then add half the jar of Salad Supreme.

At this point, you can can add the optional ingredients, if desired.

Serve chilled, and add chopped fresh basil, just before serving.  This recipe makes 8-12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment