It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Monday, April 4, 2011

Randy's Eggplant Parmesan


Sauce:
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 jar or home canned tomatoes or a large can of whole tomatoes
In a blender, purée the whole tomatoes and add to the jarred sauce, and add the following:
1 tsp each of garlic powder, basil, and oregano
1-2 T sugar
2 T olive oil

Simmer the above ingredients until the sauce has reduced by about one-third

Preparation:
2-3 medium eggplants washed and sliced into approximately one inch slices

Place eggplant on a rack, on a cookie sheet.  Salt both sides of the eggplant and let stand for 1-2 hours.  This process purges the bitterness out of the eggplant and will not make the dish salty.  After 1-2 hours, rinse the eggplant thoroughly under cold water and place on towels to dry.



In a large skillet, heat olive oil.  Dip eggplant in beaten egg and then into Italian seasoned bread crumbs.  Fry until sides are lightly brown.  In a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam, add a layer of sauce on the bottom and start layering the eggplant.  Once there is a layer in the pan, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and add a layer of sauce and top with shredded mozzarella.  Add another layer of fried eggplant and repeat with parmesan cheese, sauce, and mozzarella.



  
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350º oven for approximately an hour and a half.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.  This can be served by itself or over pasta.






No comments:

Post a Comment