It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sweet and Sour Green Beans (with bacon and onion)



1 16oz. bag frozen cut green beans, thawed
4 slices bacon cut into 1" pieces (reserve drippings)
4 green onions, chopped
4 T. bacon fat
2 T. sugar
3 T. cider vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper



In a medium skillet, add diced bacon and fry until crisp.  Remove from pan and drain on a plate with paper towel (to absorb some grease).  Reserve drippings.



Bring 2qt. water to a boil and place green beans in pan and cook until beans are fork tender.  Remove from water and allow to drain.



Slice green onions and add to bacon drippings.  Sauté for 3-4 minutes.  Add vinegar and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.



Add drained beans to skillet and stir to coat and warm through.  Add crisp bacon before serving.  Taste before adding salt, as some bacon can be salty.

Makes six servings.  Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. 

Fresh beans can be substitutes for frozen or canned.  Also try a mixture of green and yellow wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment