It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Creamed Garden Fresh Beans with New Potatoes



Some foods take me back to my childhood.  Every summer, one of the first dishes my mother prepared was this one.  The recipe was passed down from generation to generation.  Mom had her own method of making the cream sauce for this delicious dish.  Several years ago, I came across a simpler recipe that I actually like better and has a much fresher taste.  I hope you will try this recipe.

2-3 c. fresh green beans (I used a mixture of greeen and wax beans), washed and cut into bite-sized pieces.
12-14 new potatoes, washed and cut in half (leave the skins on)
8oz. cream cheese
½ c. milk
½ t. salt
3-4 T. minced chives


Wash beans and trim stem end off.  Cut into bite-sized pieces.


Wash 12-14 new potatoes and cut in half (leave the skins on).




Place into a pot and cover with cold water.



Bring to a boil and simmer until the beans and potatoes are tender (do not overcook).  Drain in a collander.



In a microwave oven-safe bowl, cut 8oz. cream cheese into cubes.  Add milk and salt.  Heat in microwave for 60 seconds and stir.  Continue heating in 60 second intervals, until sauce is smooth.



Pour beans and potatoes into serving dish.  Pour sauce over beans and potatoes, and toss with spoon.  Sprinkle with chives.  Add salt and pepper to taste.




This recipe also works well with fresh peas instead of the beans.  This recipe can also be halved, for fewer servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment