It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Soft Ginger Cookies



Ahh... Autumn.  As the days get shorter, the wind gets crisper and the leaves begin to fall, I think of aromatic smells in the kitchen - especially, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.  Here is a recipe for a soft ginger cookie which will make your kitchen smell amazing.  If you enjoy a soft version of a cookie, you need to try this recipe. 




Ingredients:

1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. shortening or lard
1 c. molasses
1 egg, beaten
½ c. boiling water
1 T. baking soda
5 c. all-purpose flour
½ t. salt (I actually use ¼ teaspoon to reduce the salt)
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 T. ground ginger
1 t. ground cloves
½ t. freshly grated nutmeg
½ c. evaporated milk
1 t. vanilla extract


 
 
 
In mixing bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg.  Add mixture of boiling water and baking soda.  Mix until smooth.

 
 
 
Sift flour, salt and spices. 


 
Mix milk and vanilla together.  Add flour mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla mixture, to the mixing bowl, ending with flour.


Preheat oven to 350º.  Drop dough onto cookie sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper.  Bake for 14 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.


Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  This recipe yields about 4 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment