It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Braised Italian Beef Ragù




This is a recipe that I actually found on a cooking show.  It had many steps to it and I wanted to simplify this ragù.  So, I skipped part of the directions and this is my adaptation of the recipe. It is the kind of recipe that you would want to prepare on a day where you have the opportunity to allow it to cook for several hours.  The outcome is a tender and delicious beef ragù.  Also in this presentation, I have decided to only cook a small portion of the rigatoni as opposed to an entire pound, in order to use some of the leftovers for sandwiches, etc.  You decide what best fits your needs.  I think you will really enjoy this savory and delicious dish.



Ingredients:

3 lb rump roast
4 T olive oil
3 carrots, cut into one inch pieces
1 onion, peeled and in large dice
1 lb slices mushrooms
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 c dry red wine (burgundy)
1 c water
2 bay leaves
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried basil
dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 T kosher salt
black pepper
2 - 28 oz cans whole or crushed San Marzano tomatoes
¼ c chopped parsley (leaved only)
½ lb. rigatoni (or pasta of your choice)
Parmigiano Reggiano
2 T sugar (if you prefer sweeter sauce)




Dry the roast with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper on all sides.




In a large dutch oven, add olive oil.  Heat to medium high or until the oil is shimmering.  Add roast and braise on all four sides.  Remove from pot and place on a platter.

 

 


Add carrots, onions and garlic.  Sauté in the drippings until the vegetables are tender.  Add mushrooms and stir to coat.  Add oregano, basil, bay leaves, red pepper flakes and wine.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.


 

Add water and return the roast to the pot.  Add both cans of tomatoes.  Add sugar at this time, if desired.  Cover and place in a 325-350º oven.


 
Cook slowly, for approximately 4 hours.  Every hour, remove from oven and baste with its sauce.

 
After four hours, remove roast from the pot and place on a cookie sheet, cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.  Also, if there is fat in the pot you would like to remove, this is the time to do so.

 


Remove foil from roast.  With scissors, remove the stings from the roast.  With forks, shred the roast into strands.  We found that a pizza cutter was an excellent tool for cutting the beef into smaller pieces.


 

Return the shredded beef to the pot of sauce.  Remove bay leaves.  Stir to cover and return to the oven at 250º until the pasta is cooked and drained. 

 

Add the parsley and stir in.  Pour the ragù over the pasta and top with Parmigiano Reggiano.



No comments:

Post a Comment