It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chicken Manicotti with Creamy Mushroom Sauce





Swedish Chef followers, I decided to post this recipe today because I thought it would be an excellent opportunity for you to use your leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, even though this is a chicken dish.  I am sure that turkey would work equally as well.  In this recipe, I decided to use half teaspoon of curry in the soup mixture, just because I enjoy that flavor.  However, it is option and you do not have to include it.


Ingredients:

8 manicotti shells
10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
3 cups cooked chicken
½ cup onion, chopped
4 T. butter
½ t. curry powder (optional)
2 4oz. cans mushrooms (stems and pieces), drained
1 t. dried thyme
2 cups shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese



In a medium saucepan, add cold water and three boneless skinless chicken breasts.  Add two bay leaves and 6 - 8 peppercorns.  Bring chicken to a boil.  Cover and remove from heat.  Allow to set for 20 minutes.
Remove chicken from saucepan and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to cool completely.



Fill 3/4 of a 4 qt. pot with cold water.  Add a tablespoon of oil.  Bring to a boil and add the manicotti shells, stirring frequently.  Cook for 7 minutes until the pasta is al dente.  Remove from water onto a plate.  Allow to cool.




In a large bowl, combine soups and sour cream.  If using curry powder, add during this step.  Once mixed, divide mixture in half and setting other half aside in another bowl.





Shred chicken into small pieces and add to half of the soup mixture.  Mix well.  Stuff manicotti shells with the chicken and soup mixture.  Place stuffed shells into a greased 12x8x2 baking dish.




Sauté onion and butter in a large skillet, until onion is tender.  Add mushrooms and continue stirring until most of the moisture has been absorbed.  Add the rest of the soup mixture and stir to combine.


Spoon over the manicotti shells.



Preheat oven to 350º.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from foil and sprinkle cheese over the top.  Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment