It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Monday, January 28, 2013

Phyllo Appetizer Cups with Mushroom Filling




I have only made these once before.  They were delicious and everyone enjoyed them.  But, if you are not used to working with phyllo, it can be a bit fussy until I found phyllo pastry shells in the freezer section, already done for me.  I use these not only for savory appetizers but for desserts as well. 



Ingredients:

2 packages (15 cups each) premade phyllo pastry shells
3 T. butter
4 shallots, minced (or ½ medium onion, chopped)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned, minced
¼ t. thyme
½ t. salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 T. flour
1/3 c. heavy cream
2 T. sherry


Allow phyllo cups to defrost.  Remove from containers and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Put into a 350º oven for 5 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool.






In a skillet, add butter and minced shallots or onions.  Sauté until the onions are transparent. 




 
Add chopped mushrooms and cook until most of the moisture has absorbed. 


 

Add seasonings and sherry.  Cook until sherry is reduced.  Add flour and stir until it has been absorbed into the mixture.  Add cream and stir until mixture is thickened.  You may need to add more cream, depending on desired thickness.




Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.  Fill cups with mixture.

This recipe yielded enough filling for 26 cups.  These can be served warm or at room temperature.

Other suggested fillings include: chicken, egg, or seafood salad or cheese fillings garnished with fresh vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment