It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Spanakopita



This is a classic Greek dish and makes a nice appetizer for entertaining or can be served as a main dish, with a salad.

Ingredients:

2 10oz. boxes frozen spinach
1 lemon
2 bunches green onions
1 T. fresh dill
¼ c. fresh parsley
5 eggs
1 T. bread crumbs
½ lb. crumbled feta
¼ c. shredded parmesan, Asiago, or Romano
¼ c. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
16 sheets phyllo dough
2 sticks butter, clarified



Thaw spinach and squeeze excess juice to create a dry product.


Place butter in small saucepan; melt slowly over medium heat.  Skim off white milk solids.  You can also strain the butter through a small sieve until a clear butter is achieved.


 

Remove root ends and 1/3 green portions of the green onions.  Chop into small pieces.  Chop parsley and dill.



In a medium sized bowl, add drained spinach, parsley, dill, green onions, salt, pepper, cheeses, bread crumbs, and oil.

Zest the rind of one lemon and add to mixture along with the juice from the lemon.


Break eggs into a separate bowl; beat slightly and add to spinach mixture.  Mix and set aside.




Using a pastry brush, brush clarified butter on bottom and sides of a 15½ x 11 x 1½ pan.  Add layer of phyllo dough.  In the demonstration, I used four pieces to cover the bottom of the pan.  Brush phyllo with butter.  Add four more sheets, and brush with butter.

 

Add cheese and spinach mixture.  Cover with four more sheets and brush with butter.  Add last four sheets and brush with remaining butter.


Score with a knife (or leave as is).  Preheat oven to 350º.  Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.



Cut into squares before serving.

1 comment: