It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Svenska Hallon Mandel Sandkaka

Swedish Raspberry Almond Shortbread



Although these were not a standard Christmas cookie growing up as a child, it has become, over the past few years, one of my favorites.  The shortbread is so tender and buttery and the raspberry jam filling, along with the almond glaze, evokes a memory of the kinds of cookies my mother used to bake this time of year.

The ingredients listed below are for a single batch, yielding 3½ dozen.  However, the photos in this demonstration show quantities doubled, yielding 7 dozen..

Cookie ingredients:
2/3c. granulated sugar
1 c. butter, softened
½ tsp. almond extract
2 c. flour
1½ c. seedless raspberry jam

 

Cream sugar, butter, and almond extract until smooth.

 
 
Add flour to make dough.  Make one inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

 

Using your thumb, press into the center of each cookie to make a thumbprint in the middle.  Place jam in a glass container and microwave for approximately 20 seconds to thin the jam.  Place ¼ tsp. jam in the center of each cookie.

Bake at 350º for 12-18 minutes (depending on the temperature of your oven - my cookies took 12 minutes).  Cool completely before adding glaze.


Glaze ingredients:
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1½ tsp. almond extract
2 - 3 tsp. milk

 


Mix ingredients to make a thin glaze.


 

Place into a Ziploc bag.  Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag, as shown in the picture.  Glaze each cookie as shown.  Allow glaze to dry completely before storing the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment