It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Swedish Chef's Shrimp Scampi



What could be better than jumbo shrimp sauteed in garlic, fresh lemon juice, white wine and Romano cheese?  This entree is one of Swedish Chef's premier dishes.  Every time we make it, we absolutely love it.  I hope you will try it and let us know what you think.


Ingredients:

2 lbs. extra large shrimp (in this demonstration, we used frozen, pre-cooked; if using fresh, remove veins and shells first)
1 lemon
4 large cloves garlic
1½-3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
¼ t. salt
¼ t. white pepper
1/8 t. sugar
1 c. white wine
1 t. red pepper flakes
8 T. unsalted butter (one stick)
½ c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
½-3/4 c. chopped parsley
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked and drained


 Remove tails from shrimp, if desired.  Some people prefer to keep them on.  In this demonstration, the tails were removed for easier dining.


In a large skillet, melt 6 T. unsalted butter and 3/4 c. olive oil.  Heat over medium to medium-high heat.


Mince four cloves of garlic.


Sprinkle salt, pepper, and sugar over shrimp; toss to coat.


 Once butter and oil are melted, add garlic and hot pepper flakes.  Sauté over medium heat.  Be careful not to burn the garlic.

 
Add shrimp and sauté on medium-low until shrimp are heated through.  If using fresh shrimp, sauté until the shrimp turn pink.


 
 
Add white wine, zest from one lemon, juice from one lemon, and the remaining 2 T. of butter.  Heat until butter is melted.


 
 
Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente; drain.  Add to the shrimp mixture.  Sprinkle with cheese and parsley; heat thoroughly.  Serve with additional cheese, as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment