It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Italian Stew



Recently we helped very dear friends of ours move into a new home.  During the move, one of the neighbors presented a beautiful dinner of this dish, along with a nice crusty ciabatta.  Serve this unique dish with a tossed salad and a glass of red wine.  This is my version of Italian Stew.  I hope you will try it.



Ingredients:

Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
2 - 28 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
2 - 15½ oz. cannellini beans, drained
2 c. potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small zucchinis, diced with skin on
½ c. carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. reduced-sodium chicken stock
4 sweet Italian sausages (or 1 lb. bulk sausage)
1 T. dried oregano
1 T. dried basil
½ glass dry red wine
3 to 4 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2 c. cooked ditalini



Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Prick casings of sausages (if using links) with a fork, then add to boiling water to remove the grease.  Let boil for 5 minutes.




 Remove from water, drain, and allow to cool.  Remove casings when cool, and cut into bite-sized pieces.



 

In a medium saucepan, bring one quart of water to a boil.  Add one cup of ditalini and cook until tender.  Remove from heat; drain, and rinse in cold water.



  

In a large dutch oven, add 3 to 4 T. olive oil.  Heat to medium-high and add potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic.  Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.



 

Add tomatoes, chicken stock, zucchini, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the dutch oven.




Add sliced sausages and red wine.  Cover and simmer for one hour.



Drain beans and rinse in cold water.



 

Remove lid from pot.  Add ditalini and beans.  Heat thoroughly and cook until stew thickens (approximately 30 minutes).

Serve in bowls, and top with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment