It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Swedish Chef's Shepherd's Pie

There are several interpretations of shepherd's pie.  I love the taste of lamb, but some people don't.  In this demonstration I will be using ground lamb.  If that is not to your taste, feel free to substitute ground beef for the lamb.


Ingredients:

2 lbs. ground lamb (or beef)
4 c. mashed potatoes (for time-savings, you can use left-overs or instant*)
1 c. chopped onion
10 3/4 oz. can tomato soup (undiluted)
2-14½ oz. cans cut green beans, drained
salt and pepper
1 t. marjoram
1 t. thyme
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¼ c. dry red wine
pinch of cinnamon
*if using instant potatoes, prepare according to package directions



Brown meat and onion.  Drain any grease.



 


In a large bowl, combine meat and onion, salt, pepper, spices, wine, and tomato soup.


Coat a shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.



Add meat mixture and spread evenly on bottom of dish.



Spread drained green beans over the top of the meat layer.



Spread mashed potatoes over the beans.  Score with a blunt table knife.


Top potatoes with cheddar cheese.


Bake uncovered on a 375º oven for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.  Serve with a tossed salad.

Yields approximately six servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment