It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Swedish Chef's Glazed Ham Balls



I've always loved hamloaf.  Last year at a church function, I had these.  I didn't get the recipe, but I was able to come up with my own version that I think is equally as good, if not better!

You will need:
2 lbs. ground ham
3 slices fresh white bread, crust on
1 egg
¼ t. pepper (no salt - the ham may already be salty)
1 dash ground cloves
1 can tomato soup
½ soup can water
½ c. packed brown sugar
3 T. cider vinegar
¼ t. ground cloves
½ - 3/4 c. ketchup



Cut three slices of bread into cubes and place in food processor; pulse and make into coarse breadcrumbs.



In a large bowl, place 2 lbs. ground ham, breadcrumbs, egg, pepper, and dash of ground cloves.  Mix until completely incorporated.



Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.  Roll meat mixture into balls approximately the size of a large golf ball.  Place in baking dish.



In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, combine tomato soup, water, brown sugar, vinegar, ¼ t. ground cloves, and ketchup; mix thoroughly.  Pour mixture over ham balls.



Preheat oven to 375º.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and baste with pan sauce, and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.


Serve with your choice of potatoes or other sides.  In this recipe, I made parsley buttered potatoes as the side dish.

Parsley Buttered Potatoes

Ingredients:
6-8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and rinsed in cold water
1 4oz. stick butter
¼ c. fresh chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste



Peel potatoes and rinse in cold water.  Cut into ½ inch cubes.  Place in a sauce pan of cold water.



Bring potatoes to a boil and turn heat down.  Simmer just until potatoes are "fork tender".



Drain water and add 1 stick of butter.  Melt and add chopped parsley.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment