It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, August 21, 2011

South of the Border Tuna Noodle Casserole



I grew up eating tuna noodle casserole often.  In fact, I ate so much of it, I refused to even eat it again for several years.  One day, I got the idea of reinventing boring tuna noodle casserole into something totally different!  My family approved!  Try this casserole for an entree reminiscent of Mexico.



Ingredients:
1 16oz. package wide egg noodles
1½ c. reserved pasta water
2 12oz. cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
1 10 3/4oz. can cheddar cheese soup
1 10 3/4oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 4oz. can small green chiles or jalapeños, drained
1 t. ground cumin
½ t. ground coriander (optional)
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. chili powder
1 8oz. package shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp)
2 c. crushed potato or tortilla chips



Boil noodles in salted and oiled water for 3-4 minutes.  They will finish cooking when they bake.  Make sure to reserve 1½ cups of water when done cooking.


Drain the tuna and make sure no water remains.



Combine soups, spices and jalapeños (or chiles) in a medium bowl.



Combine noodles with soup mixture; add tuna.  Gradually add the reserved pasta water.  Place mixture in a greased 9x13 pan. 

 


Cover with shredded cheddar cheese (you may not use the entire bag).  Top with the crushed potato chips just before baking.

Bake at 350º for 45-60 minutes or until cheese is melted and chips are lightly toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment