It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mom's Peach Kutchen Pie



In late summer when fresh peaches became available, my mother would make this pie.  Usually, this pie was dessert on Sunday afternoon after church.  This pie was passed down from my grandmother and we were always told that this pie is an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe.  It is a single-crust pie and making it is a unique experience.  I hope you will try it!



Ingredients:
1 single pie crust (your own, frozen, or out of the refrigerated section of your supermarket).
5-6 ripe peaches
3 T. cold butter
1 c. sugar
3 T. flour
3 eggs, beaten




Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add peaches slowly to the water.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Remove from hot water and place in cold water until they are cool enough to handle.  This process makes the skins come off easier.  Remove from water and remove skins with a paring knife.  Cut peaches in half and remove the stone.  Slice peaches into ¼" slices.



Place pie shell in a dish, with edges fluted.




Mix 1 c. sugar, 3 T. cold butter and 3 T. flour in a mixing bowl with your hands until mixture is crumbly.  Place mixture in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.



Place sliced peaches on top of the crumb mixture until they are level with the top of the pie plate.  (You may have extra peaches left over).



In a small bowl, beat three eggs and pour over the pie. 

Preheat oven to 400º and bake for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 375º and bake for an additional 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment