It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blueberry Buckle




My mother was partly Pennsylvania Dutch.  One of the recipes I remember her making when I was a child was this blueberry cake.  The cake is heavy and dense, but extremely moist.  This could be used as a dessert or would be excellent as a coffee cake for a brunch or for breakfast.  It is good served warm or cold and can be garnished with whipped cream.


Cake Ingredients:
2 pints blueberries, rinsed and stemmed
4 cups flour
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1½ c. sugar
½ c. room-temperature butter
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 t. vanilla

Topping Ingredients:
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
½ c. cold butter







Topping:  Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon to a bowl.  Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl.


Using a fork (or hands, as I prefer), break up the butter into the flour/sugar/cinnamon mixture, until the butter resembles small peas.  Be careful not to overwork it.  This mixture should be crumbly.  Set aside.



Cake:In a large bowl, cream sugar and room-temperature butter until well-blended.

 

In a measuring cup, combine two slightly-beaten eggs with milk and add vanilla.  Slowly add milk and egg mixture to the butter and sugar mixture until well-combined.

 

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Slowly add flour mixture to the bowl with the previous mixtures.  This will form a very heavy and stiff batter.  Carefully fold in blueberries until completely combined.


Grease and flour a 13x9-inch cake pan.  Pour batter into pan and spread to an even layer.  Sprinkle topping over the cake and place into a 375º oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment