It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Monday, February 18, 2013

Zucchini con l'uovo e parmigiano

(Zucchini with eggs and parmesan cheese)




This is a recipe that I remember eating as a child.  Nonni Bonfilio used to make this and I loved it.  I have tried to recreate this dish in my mind so that others can enjoy it as much as I did.


Ingredients:
2-3 young zucchini (enough to make 4 c. when diced)
4 T. olive oil
½ t. dried basil
½ t. dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
2 eggs - beaten, plus 1 t. water added
½ c. grated parmesan cheese
1/3 c. bread crumbs
salt and pepper, to taste



Use small to medium, tender zucchini so that you do not have to remove seeds.  In this demonstration, I used two medium zucchinis that were washed and cut into medium dice, to make four cups.



Mince two cloves of garlic.  Break two eggs into a bowl.  Scramble lightly with a fork, and add 1 teaspoon cold water.



In a medium skillet, heat to medium-high four tablespoons of olive oil.  Heat until oil is shimmering.  Add zucchini pieces and sauté four to six minutes, until the zucchini is tender.


Add basil and oregano.  Stir until combined.  Add minced garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Stir for an additional two to three minutes, but do not let the garlic brown.



Add bread crumbs and stir until crumbs are toasted and most of the liquid is absorbed.


Add beaten egg and stir until egg is cooked into zucchini mixture.


Add parmesan cheese.  Toss and heat until cheese is melted.

Serve as a side dish with any Italian entrée.  Feel free to add more parmesan if you wish.  In this demonstration, the dish was an accompaniment with Italian herbed chicken and brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment