It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Swedish Chef's Sweet Tater Salad

 
Okay, I know summer is almost over and all of the picnics are done.  But this recipe would be perfect for a potluck dinner or a perfect accompaniment to fried chicken or baked ham dinner.  You'll be amazed how delicious and different this sweet tater salad is.

Ingredients:

6 medium sweet potatoes (4 cups, diced)
7-8 slices thick-sliced bacon
4 T. small red onion, minced
1 c. golden raisins
½ c. honey
1½ c. mayonnaise
2 T. dijon mustard
parsley
dash of salt





 

 Cut ends off sweet potatoes and peel skins using a vegetable peeler.  Slice one edge so that it sits firmly on the cutting board.  Cut into half-inch planks, then cut each plank into half-inch cubes.  Place in pot of cold water.



Over medium-high heat, bring sweet potatoes to a boil.  Boil for five minutes and check to see if potatoes are tender.  Do not overcook.  Remove from heat and pour into a colander and drain.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Place potatoes in a covered container and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

 


Cut slices of bacon into half-inch pieces and place in skillet.  Fry until lightly browned.  Remove from skillet onto a paper towel to absorb grease.



Cut a small red onion in half and mince enough to make 4 tablespoons.


Chop parsley, enough for 2 tablespoons.  Mince bacon.


 

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, honey, and dijon mustard.  Blend until completely smooth.



 

Remove potatoes from refrigerator and place into a large mixing bowl.  Add salt, raisins, bacon, onion and parsley. 


Pour dressing over salad and toss gently with a spatula.  Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if needed.  Place into a serving dish and refrigerate until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment