It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fresh Garden Tomato and Basil Salad with Fresh Mozzarella


 The tomatoes in our garden are beginning to ripen.  One of my favorite things to do with them is to make this fresh tomato, basil and mozzarella salad.  It works well as an accompaniment with any Italian dish.  I just enjoy eating it a luncheon entree.  A nice piece of warm, crusty Italian bread would be a great accompaniment with this dish.


Ingredients:

1½ lbs. Roma tomatoes
fresh basil, rinsed and dried
16oz. fresh whole-milk mozzarella
2 t. sugar
½ c. red wine vinegar
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste




Rinse tomatoes and allow to dry completely.  Using a sharp knife, quarter tomatoes and place in a large bowl.


Cut mozzarella cheese into small cubes.



 Tear basil leaves into the tomatoes and cheese.
 

Add salt and pepper, to taste.

 

In a small bowl, add vinegar and sugar and stir with a whisk.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil, using the whisk to make an emulsified mixture.  Taste and adjust season according to your liking.


Pour dressing over tomatoes, mozzarella and basil; toss gently and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment