It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Crunchy Chicken Chow Mein Casserole



This is an adaptation of a recipe that I found in an old Grange cookbook.  I believe that chow mein was introduced to the American public after World War II.  By looking at the ingredients, you will see that this not the canned version, yet it is simple, easy to make and delicious.



Ingredients:

3½ c. chow mein noodles (reserve 1 cup for topping)
4 c. cooked, chopped chicken* cubes (I used four breasts)
2 c. thinly-sliced celery (diagonal cut)
5 oz. water chestnuts, drained (sliced)
5 oz. bean sprouts, drained
14 oz. baby corn, drained and cut into small pieces
8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, cut into small slices
10 oz. can cream of chicken soup
10 oz. can cream of celery soup
10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. mayonnaise
½ c. chicken broth or white wine (or sherry, used in this demonstration)

*turkey may also be used



Place chicken breasts in cold, salted water.  Add a bay leaf, cover and bring to a boil.  Turn off heat and allow to poach for a half hour.  Remove chicken to a plate and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to cool.  Cut into small cubes until you have four cups.

 
 
 

In a large bowl, combine soups and wine or broth.  Stir to combine.  Add chicken and vegetables along with 2½ cups of the noodles.


Add the mixture to a greased 9x13 baking dish.   Preheat oven to 350º.  Cover casserole with foil and bake for 60-75 minutes, until heated through.  Top with reserved noodles before serving, for extra crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment