It has been over three years since I started posting recipes on Swedish Chef - it doesn't seem possible. In that time, I have been amazed by the number of visits to my blog from all over the world. I am not exactly sure how so many of my followers found me, but I am so pleased that you did.

I hope that I have offered a variety of easy and delicious recipes for you. I look forward to another year of easy, affordable, and delicious cuisine. If you would like to request a recipe, please contact me via email.

Thank you,

Randy Swanson
"The Swedish Chef"

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pineapple Pepper Chicken Kebabs



In this demonstration, you will see that I used a fresh pineapple, although the recipe calls for canned.  The reason for this is because I prefer fresh pineapple over canned.  I think it is sweeter, juicier, and has an excellent texture for skewering and grilling.  If you do not have access to fresh pineapple, then feel free to use canned pineapple.



Ingredients:
15¼ oz. can pineapple chunks (unsweetened)
½ c. soy sauce
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 clove minced garlic
½ tsp. ground fresh ginger
3-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 bell peppers (color is optional - I used red and green)
1/3 c. pineapple juice





If using fresh pineapple, remove the top and bottom.  Cut the peel from the sides, trying to remove any debris.  Cut pineapple in half, and each half into quarters.  With a sharp knife, remove the core.  Cut the pineapple into one-inch cubes.  If using canned pineapple, remove the juice and save 1/3 cup.  If using fresh pineapple, you will want to add 1/3 cup canned pineapple juice.




Remove seeds from peppers and cut into one-inch cubes.  Set aside with chunked pineapple.




Cut chicken breasts into one-inch cubes and place in a separate bowl.






Add to chicken the soy sauce, sugar, minced garlic, ground ginger, and pineapple juice.  Stir and set in refrigerator for at least one hour.



Soak wooden skewers in a shallow pan with water for at least one hour.  This will prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.



Assemble the kebabs with chicken, pineapple, and peppers.




Using a piece of aluminum foil (folded into thirds), place kebabs on well-oiled grill so that ends of the kebabs are on the foil.  Using tongs, continue to grill on all sides until chicken is cooked and vegetables are charred.


Baste the kebabs often, using the marinade from the chicken.  Be sure to discard the marinade following the grilling process.


In this demonstration, the kebabs were accompanied with wild rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment